Summer Challenge – Day Fifty Four

For a shoot I have had in my head for almost a year now, I don’t think more could have gone wrong.  I was going to do this Thursday or Friday, but with plans always changing at our house, I had to move it to tonight.

The idea came for this last fall.  I have a garden every year and I LOVE growing my own pumpkins.  My youngest is also in LOVE with “It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown”.  While my garden was growing last year, I started getting the idea to do a great pumpkin themed shoot.  But by the time the pumpkins were big enough, the pumpkin vines had all died off and weren’t pretty anymore.  I decided this year to do it early, which meant, I had to come up with pumpkins.

I had originally started making a HUGE paper mache pumpkin for this.  It took a couple of hours to make the ONE pumpkin, but it was looking awesome.  And then one day, while we were at the horse, it began to rain, and no one was home to save my paper pumpkin from the back yard downpour.  When I got home, it was nothing more than a wet pile of paper.  My friend had offered to help make another, but I was running out of time, so I went to the craft store and picked up some realish looking fake ones, smaller than I wanted, but they would have to do.

I had found the shirt at a western store while buying horse stuff.  I was going to make one, but why should I, when I could buy one ready to go for $10?

We got to the garden tonight at dusk and my daughter and son and I carried all of the gear about half a football field length to our pumpkins.  As I am starting to set up I realized that the plots just North of mine, the direction I wanted to shoot, had weeds growing taller than me (NO FREAKING JOKE) so the three of us immediatly started stomping them down.  After 15 minutes or so and dripping with sweat, I finally had the view I wanted.

So I start to set up the lights… and out come the bugs.  Mosquitos and they were horrid.  I am setting up as fast as I can.  I get the moon light up and gelled, I get the second light on the stand and the beauty dish up, I hook up my triggers and one of my triggers fail.  The second light decides not to sync off of the first one so I had only one light working at a time.  So I had to take what I could.  I set up my moon, got the shot, told my son if he moved he was grounded for a month as I ran the trigger to my main light and got that shot.  It was all I could do. I literally took four shots.  One moon and three front lit.  And he didn’t stay still enough so blending wasn’t as easy as I had hoped.

So it’s not perfect, and the sign kept falling off the post because gaffers tape doesn’t like paper… or wood… and we had to rush everything to the car because the bugs were just after us relentlessly and my kids were awesome sports and I am not thrilled at all with the finished product… but it’ll do for now.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *